Friday, October 12, 2012

Boot Camp Guest Blogger: From Terrified to Encouraged

Check out the guest blog from Rebekah, who just started the D1 boot camps! Great insight and story!

Growing up as a swimmer, I was always in pretty good shape as a kid. As the years went on, exercising was dropped to the bottom of my to-do list, and I exercised less and less. While I've been blessed with good metabolism, I know that there's more to health than just outer appearance. I've been feeling convicted as I get older that I need to develop the habit of exercising regularly. I knew that after so many years of being lazy, it was time to attempt to get into shape. To be honest, I REALLY hate working out, and not just a little. So I started easy. I tried some basic workouts, and I jumped back in the pool and started swimming laps (swimming is the only exercise I enjoy). I could tell that I wasn't getting as good of a workout as I had hoped. Plus, I knew I wasn't pushing myself as hard as I could.

A little over a month ago, I was given the opportunity to attend D1 boot camp classes. My first reaction was, "No way! That's too hard! I would die!" I used every excuse in the book to not go, but after the consistent persuasion of my co-workers, I finally folded.

I was terrified my first day, especially after hearing that the workout that day was especially hard. I actually sat in the parking lot debating whether or not to go inside. I realized that I just had to pull off the bandaid and go for it. And it was tough! I couldn't finish everything, and I almost passed out twice, but I made it through! Then quite unexpectedly, determination set in and I wanted to complete a full workout and get better at it. I started pushing through the pain and going multiple times a week. I had friends and co-workers cheering me on and encouraging me every step of the way.

Now after 5 weeks of boot camp, I can complete most work outs. I'm still not as fast as other people, it's still really hard (although getting a little easier every time), and I often have to talk myself into working out. However, I keep celebrating the little victories to keep me going… completing hard workouts, seeing my body starting to become a little more sculpted, the jeans fitting a little better. I sleep better, I feel better, I have more energy, and I've been in better moods.

So if you're like me, and hate working out but know you need to, be encouraged. If I can do it, you CAN do it! It's hard to start, but starting is the hardest part. You just have to go for it!

So here's my advice for people who are like me:
1) Just go. The first time is the hardest, because you don't know what to expect, and it's scary. You just have to jump in feet first.
2) Have an accountability/workout friend. It makes a WORLD of difference to have someone you enjoy being around by your side. They encourage you and hold you accountable to going. If you don't have a friend to go with, try to make friends at boot camp. I find that most people in my class are really friendly.
3) Be persistent and consistent. I'm not going to lie to you, it's not going to be easy. But the more you go, the easier it will get. If you only go once a week or once every other week, you're going to get discouraged because you aren't seeing results. So try to go multiple times a week.
4) Talk to your trainer/coach. Let them know your goals and talk to them about any concerns you have. They are there to help you through it.
5) Don't get discouraged and give yourself some slack. If you're not in great shape already, chances are you won't be able to complete the first few boot camps. Just stop when you NEED to (not just when you want to), and realize that you probably aren't going to be able to keep up with the people who have been going for months. Every time you go, try to do a little more. Soon you'll be able to finish the workouts, and you will get better at them.
6) Find the little achievements to keep you going: take measurements so you can see your progress, take note of your energy levels, notice that you're taking fewer breaks. Those little things will encourage you that it's worth the effort.
So stayed tuned, and I'll keep you updated on my journey!

No comments: