Friday, October 19, 2012

Boot Camp Guest Blogger: Making Strides Brick by Brick

Check out the guest blog from Matt, who recently started the boot camps at D1 and found the benefit of building brick by brick:

I’m a very functionally-minded person, so it’s easy to convince myself that I have a valid excuse not to work out. Why should I spend the time and effort to get into D1-level or NFL-level shape when my daily activities and my job do not require that of me? On paper, it can be difficult to see the return on investment. I can easily accomplish my honey-do list and weekly lawn mowing without being a meat-head at a local gym, incessantly staring into the mirror while slow-curling 55’s. Some people literally spend 6 hours a day working out, and I simply don’t care to do that. But, if I want to be the best I can be I know I cannot ignore my physical needs any longer.

Recently, I was at my father-in-law’s home in Virginia. He has a beautiful colonial brick house with white columns, and it sits on a good chunk of land. After dinner one night we sat out on his patio, and I remember making a few kind remarks about how I admired his home and what he had done with the place. He looked at me and said, “you know, I simply built it brick by brick.” That statement has really enhanced the way I look at things. Instead of seeing a million-dollar home that only a wealthy individual could afford, now I just see a neatly stacked pile of bricks surrounding some drywall and 2x4’s. When it is broken down into small segments, a million-dollar home actually seems like an attainable goal. I mean, what does a brick cost? 50 cents? I could purchase 100 bricks right now just with the coins in my piggy bank! Ok, I have a mason jar, but you get the idea. I know I have a long way to go, but I am crazy enough to believe I can do it.

The same goes for working out. Instead of being envious of someone in great shape, or wishing to lose 20 pounds, lets break it down. How hard is it to run 10 yards? Most of us can do that. Most of us can do a pushup, at least from our knees. What is stopping you from stepping away from your desk right now for 20 seconds and cranking out 10 pushups? Sometimes it’s a lot easier to make the jump when someone jumps with you. The culture at D1 is just that. The first time I went, I really struggled to keep up. Actually, I still struggle to keep up, but I’m making progress. No one judged me or made fun of me. My peers actually encouraged me. The staff at D1 are encouraging as well, and they have helped me numerous times to develop proper form. Proper form is so much harder, and I mean that in the best way. The staff have helped guide to be easier on my joints and prevent injury while working my muscles harder than I ever have before.

As you may have gathered, I didn’t exactly come in to D1 for the first time with a head start. Although some claim I resemble Peyton Manning, I’m far from that gene pool (coming in at just under 5’10”). At the same time, I’ve realized how little the gene pool matters. It’s all about work ethic, drive, inspiration, and perspiration. I’ll admit, it was intimidating walking into D1 for the first time, but shouldn’t it be? I feel like it works to your advantage because you feel like an elite athlete the minute you set foot inside the building. D1 will push you beyond what you feel capable of, it’s not easy, and it really doesn’t feel good sometimes. What does feel good is the sense of accomplishment afterwards. I’m thankful that I’ve found a place where I am inspired and held accountable to be the absolute best I can be, brick by brick.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey hi..i just read your article. it's really informative. i think you done great work. Thank you for sharing such a nice information.

http://www.batterupind.com/